As a result of poor catering in a primary school the uptake for lunchtime meals was very low and staff were dissatisfied with the food. Powlett and Associates Ltd were able to develop a new Whole School Food Policy to enable the school to fulfil its duty to foster a healthy eating culture in line with Government directives.
In actioning the Whole School Food Policy we turned around the school catering provision by building the business case for change and implemented it through supporting the school with the management of the tender process that led to identify and employ the right caterer to develop the lunchtime services.
The outcomes within a year were:
• An increase in uptake of school meals from just less than 40% to over 70%.
• All food provided and cooked on site from locally sourced growers and farmers.
• The employment of three staff in the kitchen from the village.
• A net profit gained that has been used for reinvestment into the school.
• Lunches provided for the older citizens of the village